Varsity Volleyball Makes History

Back to Article
Back to Article

Varsity Volleyball Makes History

Leroy Howard

Leroy Howard

Leroy Howard

This year’s varsity volleyball team made history, or as the team likes to say “herstory”, numerous times this season. Coached by Ciji Kuhlmann, a Muller Road ELA/Math teacher, the girls had a successful 15-game winning streak that carried on until the third round of play-offs where they fell to defending State-Champions, Aiken.

The start of the season was rocky for the girls, where they lost five games in a row in pre-season, but they didn’t let that defeat their spirits. After their rough start, the girls went  undefeated in Region 4-AAAA play, going 10-0. This earned them a banner in the gym.

Something else the team earned themselves was a trophy in the case for winning the Bronze Division at the Lexington High School Tournament on Sept. 30.

The Redhawks worked to overcome adversity and challenge themselves in order to make a name for themselves this season. They came out on top despite being unexpected underdogs.

Having an undefeated regular season, the ladies hosted their first ever-home play-off game in school history. They created many more firsts such as being the first volleyball team to make it past the first round of play-offs and the first team to make it past the second round of play-offs, putting Westwood on the map and setting the tone for athletics this school year.

The 2017 varsity volleyball team consisted of:

Number 9 — YaKia Davis, senior, Defensive Specialist

Number 10 — Jewel Dinkins, senior, Outside and Right Side Hitter, Captain

Number 14 — Emani Harley, senior, Right Side

Photo credit: Leroy Howard

Number 15 — Lauryn Bethea, senior, Outside and Middle Hitter, Captain

Number 1 — Sydney Hill, junior, Defensive Specialist and Outside Hitter, Captain

Number 2 — Ta’Naya Corely, junior, Setter

Number 12 — Jasmine Finkley, junior, Middle Hitter

Number 30 — Nala Wilson, junior, Libero, Captain

Number 4 — Nina Skaudis, sophomore, Defensive Specialist

Number 8 — Nyah Leveretter, sophomore, Middle Hitter

And every single girl was vital to the outcome of the season.

Friends, family and faculty showed immense support for the girls. There were enough friends that came to the home games to create the first volleyball student section. Parents traveled to away games, including games that were almost two hours away, just to support their Redhawks. It was a school effort to keep the morale up and keep the girls focused.