False School Shooting Threats

See something, say something

Back to Article
Back to Article

False School Shooting Threats

De'Asia Jenkins, editor

In today’s world, the United States has had another mass school shooting. On February 14, 2018, a teenager killed a total of 17 members of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School located in Parkland, Florida.

After the shooting, schools around the world received false threats, including our very own, Westwood High School. No parent should be afraid of their child(ren) leaving the comfort of their home to receive an education just as well as no student or staff should be afraid of coming to school to teach and learn. Making false threats to a school that holds a special person to someone else’s family is terrifying. No one would know what to do despite the safety rules set in place. In a state of panic and shock, everyone will be so focused on getting out alive that the rules wouldn’t matter. Speaking of rules, as students, we should take the necessary precautions seriously. Normally during safety drills, we don’t act accordingly thinking that nothing will ever happen. Having that mindset during this day in time should not be normalized. We have to understand that anything can happen at any moment in time.

We all go through rough times in our lives whether it’s being bullied, depression, bipolar disorder, or even anxiety. Gun violence isn’t the answer — hurting someone because you are hurt isn’t the answer. The expression, ” hurt people, hurt people” is in fact true. Talking to trusted adults can help release some stress.  As students, we should all learn how to treat one another. We never know what a person is going through and when they will reach their breaking point. One joke can turn into a tragedy.  Everyone is not going to have the same lifestyle or come from the same background. Because each person is different, it doesn’t mean they should be teased for it. The cause of teens shooting schools is because their school is what caused them the most pain mentally and emotionally; while some people make false threats just for the fun of it.

I encourage students to be more kind for we cannot predict someone’s next move. I also strongly encourage students who feel alone to seek help from a trusting adult, parent, family member, or even professional. Everyone deserves a peace of mind. False threats aren’t the way to get attention or shouldn’t be done as a joke.