#MarchForOurLives Takes Nation by Storm

Hailey Zalewa

Over the weekend, hundreds of marches occurred across the nation. The protest given the name ‘March For Our Lives’ allowed millions of people to flood the streets as they called for action against gun violence. The student-led movement emerged after the Parkland shooting in Florida.

In the nation’s capital, many students and young adults took the stage to speak about the issues at hand. Many speakers acknowledged the victims of gun violence that are lesser knows. “I am here today to acknowledge and represent the African-American girls whose stories don’t make the front page of every national newspaper,” said Naomie Wadler. Emma Gonzalez recited the names of

the seventeen Majory Stoneman Douglas victims, but she spent the majority of her  6 minutes and 20 seconds on stage in silence. “In a little over six minutes, 17 of our friends were taken from us,” said Gonzalez as she remembered the horrifying moments during the shooting at her high school. Gonzalez rounded off her speech by telling the massive crowd, “Fight for your lives before it’s someone else’s job.” The students of Parkland do not want to be affiliated with any political party. Instead, they’re considering themselves the revolution.

In Columbia SC, nearly 3,000 protesters marched from the corner of Calhoun and Sumter Street to the steps of the State House. On the steps of the state house were the words “Never Again” spelled out in orange flowers. Speakers included the mayor of Columbia and students from schools across the Midlands. During the rally, students of all ages stood on the steps of the State House while adults stood below. At all of these marches, the protesters were given the chance to register to vote.

In the end, the protesters are all fighting for the same thing: gun control.