Studio D- Design Like a Girl Project

Back to Article
Back to Article

Studio D- Design Like a Girl Project

Haven Frazier, editor

Studio D is a magnet program at Westwood. It “​ ​empowers​ students​​ ​to​ ​think​ ​critically and​ ​creatively,​ ​to​ take​ risks,​ ​to ​​innovate, ​ ​and​ ​to collaborate​ on​ ​relevant ​​design ​​challenges. Rigorous interdisciplinary​ learning​ ​experiences allow​ students​​ to​​ learn​ key​ academic​​ ​content, exceeding ​​state ​standards​​ ​and​ bringing​ ​that content ​to​​ ​life ​​through project-based​​ learning  and​ ​design​ thinking​ strategies. “ , as the website said. It runs through every high school grade and focuses on the design and cooperation aspect of learning. Student​s ​in ​the​​ ​Studio​ ​D​ ​magnet​ ​program​ ​takes ​college​​ ​prep​ courses​​ ​with​ ​an​ ​honors ​​option.​​​ Even though it already is a magnet program, those ​​who​ ​wish​ ​to​ pursue​ honors​ ​credits​ ​may​ ​do​ ​so,​ ​and​ ​will ​continue​ ​to collaborate​ ​on​ ​design​ ​challenges​ while​​ completing​ honors-level​ ​course ​work​​.

They have currently been working on a project under the STEM relm. STEM stands for science, technology, engineering, and math. ​For the past couple of months, the students in Studio D 10 have been working on a project. Trying to answer the essential question of How they can use toys, apps, and games to promote STEM or STEAM subjects to young girls? They called the project The Design Like a Girl project … DLAG for short. The students stated The products that are being made incorporate STEM by making the main focus of the product on science, technology, engineering, and math for girls. The games range from coloring books, to board games, to drawing games. “We try and get girls in STEM with the products we are making for girls. We are trying to spark interests in STEM for girls.” , Eja’ Brown stated.

One of the games that was made “Amature”. It was a guessing & drawing game where you basically have difficult words on one side of the card & you have to guess and draw what you think the word / object would look like in 60 seconds. Whoever the judge thought had the most accurate drawing gets a point. It incorporated Science and Math terms to relate to STEM. Another product was a coloring book, but with a twist. To sum it up, you had a page w an object you needed you color & math problems .. when you solve the math problem it reveals a letter which eventually spells out a color, which you use for the drawing. The product was called “ Number for Nature”. Lastly, We view a more science demographic with the “ Battle of Cells “. There are different kingdoms which are the nerve, blood, skin, and muscle kingdom. Each princess from the kingdoms are trying to get to the queen or hearts to take her crown.

Over all, the sophomores in Studio D have worked long and hard on each of their prototypes & designs in the hopes of producing it. At the end of the year, after looking at all the finals, finishing and cleaning up the books and cards and boards, one will be chosen. Some groups have even been eliminated in the prototype stage to focus on the more finished ones.