Athlete Spotlight: Diamond De La Rosa

Hailey Zalewa, Sports Editor

The sport of soccer takes skill, determination, and a lot of hard work. So far, the Lady Redhawks have been defending their field throughout the season. A very important player on the varsity girls soccer team is senior Diamond De La Rosa. Let’s get to know a little bit about Diamond.

Hailey: How long have you been involved in the sport?

Diamond: I’ve been playing soccer for eight years.

Hailey: Who inspired you to start playing the sport?

Diamond: My brother, Isaac. He inspired me to start playing when we were kids. I saw his passion for it, and it made me want to give it a shot to see how far I could get with it.

Hailey: Why do you love soccer?

Diamond: I really love everything about the sport. I love the physical, aggressive, and skill aspect of the sport. Soccer challenges me to push myself to be better and it’s been like an escape for me. When I hit the field nothing matters but the ball and the net.

Hailey: What’s your favorite soccer memory?

Diamond: My favorite memory has to be when I made my first winning PK (penalty kick) to help my team.

Hailey: What position do you play?

Diamond: I really play any position that I’m needed in, but my main position is defensive midfield.

Hailey: How do you prepare for a game?

Diamond: Before my games, I always pray and eat a banana. I then rub grass on my shin guards for good luck. I really have to listen to a playlist that isolates me from any distractions around me. The playlist helps me focus on winning the game and having fun.

Hailey: What are your goals for the season?

Diamond: I hope we make playoffs this season.

Hailey: What are your future plans?

Diamond:  I have enlisted in the Army National Guard, so I’ll go through basic training this summer. I’ll then start college my spring semester 2019 at Coastal Carolina.

Hailey: What advice would you give to underclassmen that want to try out the sport?

Diamond: Give your all when trying out for the sport. No matter how challenging it may seem, never give up! And do not be afraid to start from the bottom to work your way up.