Redhawk Times

• September 21Hurricane Make-Up Dates: Oct. 18, Oct. 19 & Dec. 21

• September 21Sept. 24: Track Interest Meeting, 6:30 pm, Cafe

• September 21Sept. 25: College Application Day, Media Center

• September 21Sept. 27: Peru Interest Meeting, 6 pm, Media Center

Recap: 2018 US Open

Photo courtesy of US Open Tennis

Meera Rogers, Editor

On Aug. 21, players and tennis fans alike came to the Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York for the US Open. Last year’s winners Sloane Stephens and Rafael Nadal returned along with other heavy hitters including Serena Williams and sister Venus Williams, Madison Keys and Jeļena Ostapenko for the womens. Men’s players included Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer and Kevin Anderson.

There were a lot of disappointments during the 2018 US Open, a big one being that Sloane Stephens, winner of last year’s matches and the favorite to win this year, lost 6-2, 6-3 to Anastasija Sevastova in the quarter finals. Roger Federer also lost to Australian John Milliman, winning one set and losing four with two tiebreaks. In the match pitting the Williams sisters against each other, Serena came out on top winning 6-1, 6-1. Although expected to do well in the tournament, Jeļena Ostapenko lost 6-2, 6-3 to Maria Sharapova.

The big winners in this tournament, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams, and Madison Keys, made their way through the draws and to the semis. Along with less known players like 20-year-old Naomi Osaka, who faced off against Madison Keys on the 6th to play in the US open finals. Serena Williams faced off against Latvian payer Anastasija Sevastova for a the chance to play in the finals (with the winner of the Osaka and Keys match).

Rafael Nadal and Juan Martin del Potro faced of in the semis, Juan Martin del Porto won, while Kei Nishikori faced off against Novak Djokovic, with Djokovic winning three straight sets.

Naomi Osaka coming out onto to win her first Grand Slam Title with a score of 6-2, 6-4 which pitted her against Serena Williams in the finals. Osaka won her maiden Grand Slam title during Saturday’s 2018 U.S. Open women’s final, winning her matches 6-2, 6-4. During the match Williams got into several altercations over calls with the chair umpire Carlos Ramos. Sportswriter Sally Jenkins said, “Ramos took what began as a minor infraction and turned it into one of the nastiest and most emotional controversies in the history of tennis, all because he couldn’t take a woman speaking sharply to him.” That particular comment has been highly debated in tennis circles and without.

Either way, Osaka’s first championship win was marred by controversy.

As for the men, Novak Djokovic faced off against Juan Martin del Porto and took the title, 6-3, 7-6, 6-3.

Meera Rogers, Editor

Meera Rogers is a sophomore at Westwood High school. She has been part of the yearbook and newspaper staff for one year. In addition to that she is also...