Redhawk Times

• September 21Hurricane Make-Up Dates: Oct. 18, Oct. 19 & Dec. 21

• September 21Sept. 24: Track Interest Meeting, 6:30 pm, Cafe

• September 21Sept. 25: College Application Day, Media Center

• September 21Sept. 27: Peru Interest Meeting, 6 pm, Media Center

Trump Declares National Emergency for the United States to Build the Border Wall

Back to Article
Back to Article

Donald Trump at the New Hampshire Town Hall at Pinkerton Academy, August 19th, 2015 | Michael Vadon | This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.

Jordan Felder, Editor

From Dec. 22-Jan. 25, President Donald Trump and Congress forced one of the longest partial government shutdowns in American history. This standoff ended on Jan. 25, when Trump signed a bill reopening the government for three weeks while negotiations continued until Congress and the President finally signed a bipartisan budget. However, on Feb. 15 during remarks about border security in the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington, Trump declared a national emergency at the U.S.-Mexico border.

Congress would not approve the $5.7 billion dollars Trump requested to build a wall along the Southern border, which he has promised since his Presidential Campaign run against Democratic Candidate Hillary Clinton in 2016. What was once used to gain popularity and support in his campaign was put in question due to the lack of funding and support from the government.

The bipartisan budget that passed only provides $1.375 billion for a repairs to the current sections of wall that spans 55 miles wide, only a small percentage of the $5.7 billion dollars he requested for his wall. The wall that he envisioned would span for more than 200 miles and be made of concrete or steel.

Because most members of Congress did not want another shutdown, both Republicans and Democrats hoped that Trump would sign the budget, despite the lack of funding for the border wall. This was upsetting to Trump supporters because of all Trump had promised in regards to border security, with the most famous one being the wall. But with the promise of the wall at jeopardy, many are beginning to wonder if their faith in Trump was misplaced.

Earlier this month, Trump signed the agreement but declared a National Emergency because of his dedication to receiving the $5.7 billion that he requested but was ultimately denied. As he was signing it, he stated that he would “sign the declaration to protect the country from the flow of drugs, criminals and illegal immigrants across the border from Mexico”, which he categorized as a profound threat to national security. 

During the news conference in the White House Rose Garden, the president said, “I want to do it faster. I could do the wall over a longer period of time. I didn’t need to do this.”

On Saturday, South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, Republican, expressed support for  Trump’s decision to declare a national emergency. Then, on Sunday during an interview on CBS’ “Face the Nation”, he told host Margaret Brennan, “I think the president’s been making a persuasive case that the border is broken, you know,” he said. “Drugs are flowing across the border killing Americans, human trafficking. We’ve got a dangerous situation along the border.”

Democratic leaders vowed to fight what they call a “power grab by a disappointed president.”

“The Congress will defend our constitutional authorities in the Congress, in the courts, and in the public, using every remedy available,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Chuck Schumer said in a joint statement.

Saturday saw protests across the country, and a coalition of states have joined together to sue Trump over the national emergency.