Planning Ahead

SAT and ACT overview

Haven Frazier, Senior Editor

Spring time is upon us! Students enjoy the sun and warmth approach and the long awaited Spring break. Seniors and Juniors get ready for prom, and Seniors count the days until graduation. Although spring is filled with joy, it can be the most stressful time of the school year; testing time.

Around this time of the year, students take the WIN test, SAT, ACT, Benchmarks, and End of Year (EOC) exams. The most crucial for students planning to attend college are the SAT and ACT. The SAT and ACT are standardized tests widely used for college admissions in the United States. Juniors and seniors spend hours in a classroom working hard to achieve the best score they can. The difference between the two is the ACT has a science portion, and the SAT doesn’t.

52.2% of Westwood Students said the ACT was the most difficult and 47.8% believe that the SAT was the most difficult.

Junior Akili Nipper, who took both tests, said, “I feel as both the SAT and  ACT helped me for my future, I’m only a junior and this year was my first time taking both.”

Juniors have this year and their senior year to take the test more than once. This will help them see which outcome was best and which they can use for colleges.

“If I was to take one again, it would be ACT. I know that is the one that I struggled with the most and I need to try to get a better score.” Nipper said. The ACT was slightly more difficult than the SAT this year for students. “I still would like to take the SAT again, since I’m more familiar with it.